Feb 22 2018

WC/EC 2018 – IceScouting (Fourth Report) – DECISION

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

 

As promised yesterday morning we checked the conditions in Orjaku Bay. It is a very nice place with a lot of new facilities and a great area to sail. Unfortunately, the ice is covered by 6-8 cm old and heavy snow.

I would have loved to hold the WC/EC 2018 there, but looking at the weather forecasts it would either be a pushing competition with low winds or in higher winds some competitors could come back with frostbites. Extremely cold weather and more snow are predicted for the area.

There were reports of some other promising areas in Poland, but as of today, the ice thickness is not sufficient to accommodate 150 competitors.

Herewith I would like to say THANK YOU for all, who helped me in icescouting or contributed any information for making the proper decision.

Thus the DECISION is:

The 2018 WC/EC will be held on Lake Niegocin, Poland.

Launching site is

Przystań Jachtowa Ekomarina in the city of Gyzicko.

The Head Quarters will be in Hotel St. Bruno.

You can make a reservation by e-mail: recepcja@hotelstbruno.pl, or by telephone: +48 87 732 65 00 quoting “iceboat” or “bojer”. Double room with breakfast will cost 209 PLZ/night (cca. 50 EUR).

Drive safely & See you all there!

Think Ice,
Your Commodore,

Attila Pataky
M-100

 

 

Permanent link to this article: https://idniyra.eu/wc-ec-2018-icescouting-fourth-report-decision/

2 comments

    • lentsius on 22. February 2018 at 06:26

    Weather forecast predicts 1.7mm!!!! of rainfall for friday. We will be knee deep in snow by the time the competition starts.
    Wind forecast- sunday 2-3m/s, monday 1m/s, other day’s 1-5m/s. I personaly hardly see any good sailing weather.
    https://www.yr.no/place/Poland/Warmia-Masuria/Gizycko/long.html

    If you compare it to Kaugatoma where icefield is getting better and bigger by the hour (clear black ice) then we have twice as less rainfall on friday. Cosistent wind 5-11m/s all week long.

    Temperatures are the same on both spots.

    I’m not favoring anything but the last time EC was in Gizycko then the schedule was the same. Traning day good ice, raceday 10-15cm of snow, we sat for 3 days and moved to another lake where there was also thick snow and no wind.
    I dont mind the drive, I just want to sail.

    Marek
    C-72

    • lentsius on 22. February 2018 at 06:30

    Kaugatoma forecast: https://www.yr.no/place/Estonia/Saaremaa/Kaugatuma/long.html

Leave a Reply

WordPress spam blocked by CleanTalk.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

[ + ]